Google+ Badge

Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Computer Says No...


As expected, posting about police related topics doubled the readership of my blog. This seems to be a recurring pattern; after I had poured out my heart when giving my testimony to a group of children in one of the CCM homes, they just wanted to know whether I had ever handcuffed or arrested anybody...kindof missing the point of what I was saying; that I'd given up my job in the police to share the Gospel as that was more important!

I had two "computer says no" type incidents this week, I wonder if reading about the details will make you feel as stressed as being involved in them did. Lets see.

I wanted to upgrade our pocket wifi at the house as the connection speeds via GLOBE (named and shamed) are consistently well below that advertised. But whenever I contact Globe online (which requires sufficient signal) I usually get cut off halfway through online chat and have to go through the whole procedure again or if I send an email asking what the procedure is for an upgrade they send me one back failing to answer my question and refusing to divulge any information until I have given them at least 20 pieces of security information. I find this a little strange as I'm not asking for confidential information just what deals and promotions they have available for an upgrade, I don't understand why they would need my security details for this. I can't give them the info they need as the whole thing is in my housemates name as they wouldn't allow me to take the contract because I'm a foreigner. For the same reason I cannot sort this out in the store as they will demand to see the account holder and various forms of ID even though I am named on the account and am the one paying the bill......so I'm thinking of switching to PLDT..maybe someone from Globe will read this and sort the problem out...?

The second matter involves a parcel that was sent from UK. I received a notice that had already expired, about a week ago because my housemate lost it. It states that I need to go and collect the parcel within 30 days but it is stored at the central post office which is quite a way away. There is no name, contact number or address on the form and everytime they come to the house with a reminder they don't bring the parcel just the form! There is also a storage fee that is increasing over time and soon will be higher than the value of the contents.

On a more positive, and less frustrating note, I received contact from one of the "rugby boys" in Olongapo that I hadn't heard from in over a year. Joshua who is Muslim is back in Olongapo and is now attending school. I hope to see him on my next visit which is planned for Mon November 10th.

Paul and Joel seem to be settling down at the house in Olongapo after our initial "missing grandma" and other teething problems. I'm sure we have a fair way to go but for now things seem to be okay. I am still trying to get both boys teeth fixed as they have large visible gaps which might be a deterrent for a potential employer as they look pretty rough and perhaps more importantly, have trouble eating! Simon has finally been released from Rehab and is back in Olongapo.

I have updated the charity website with all of the new information about the boys under "Rugby Boys News" but am now unable to edit it because the "computer says NO!" I have asked someone in UK to contact BT about this as I can't even create a service desk request as this causes the system to crash too...the wonders of modern technology.

www.olongapochristianhelpandhope.btck...

The drop in for the homeless street people was well attended last night and in addition to the usual volunteers a famous person turned up. I don't think he likes being famous, well he certainly looked embarrassed when I mentioned it. Matt Gamston (UK) was involved in starting the drop in centre around 11 years ago and dropped by for a visit. He was instantly surrounded by hordes of children clamouring for his attention. It was good to meet him at last as the first thing everyone, both here and at home, asks me when I mention the Philippines or the UK is "Do you know Matt Gamston?" Well now I do!

He encouraged me to continue studying the language by telling me that he "hated every minute of it" and "never really got it." No seriously, it WAS an encouragement as I thought I was the only one who struggled with it as everyone at the language school I was attending was always so bright and cheery.

I was also thrilled to see one of our regular "rugby boys" from Cubao, let's call him Mac, appearing in clean clothes and dashing around with a lot of energy with the other children. He looked solvent free and said he is now attending school. Pray for Frank* another of our boys who is not yet on the same path. Pray also for workers (especially men) to join me in reaching out specifically to the rugby boys and girls here in Cubao.

I have been reading a lot recently having discovered the free Goodreads website and realised I can download free ebooks in exchange for reviewing them. There's some great things out there, I encourage you to sign up.

I am giving away 3 free paperback copies of my book via the site, enter before 30th November to win. My parents will be responsible for posting them to the winners, I haven't asked them yet but they read my blog...so.... :)

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

I have found a company to sort out my PDF technophobe problems so the various forms of ebook should be out very soon...

I will leave you with this that I heard on Sunday for the first time...

More holiness give me, more strivings within.
More patience in suffering, more sorrow for sin.
More faith in my Savior, more sense of His care.
More joy in His service, more purpose in prayer.

More gratitude give me, more trust in the Lord.
More zeal for His glory, more hope in His Word.
More tears for His sorrows, more pain at His grief.
More meekness in trial, more praise for relief.

More purity give me, more strength to o’ercome,
More freedom from earth-stains, more longings for home.
More fit for the kingdom, more useful I’d be,
More bless├Ęd and holy, more, Savior, like Thee.

Philip Bliss